Nine Cool Mid-Afternoon Tips to Get You Through the Day
The midday slump. We’ve all had it—that sluggish, grumpy slowdown period around 3 or 4 p.m., when the caffeine has worn off, lunch is a memory and all you want is to put your head down on your desk.
To kickstart your energy level and boost your productivity, take a few minutes to try some of these midday habits suggested by personal trainers:
- Take a short walk. A little fresh air will do wonders, but if you can’t get outdoors, a jog up the stairs or a walk through the corridors may help get your adrenaline going.
- Drink a glass of ice water. It will wake you up, boost your metabolism and help you feel refreshed.
- Have an energy-rich snack. Try a handful of nuts, a cup of yogurt or apple slices with peanut butter. Avoid candy, which may give you a quick rush but leave you more bogged down than you were before.
- Make a list for the rest of the day. Listing chores and family or social plans through the evening can help to clear your head and get you focused.
- Do some deep breathing. Just a few minutes of deep breathing exercise can help to clear your head and get you energized.
- Clean out your email clutter. Cleaning out your inbox during a lull in the afternoon can help you to feel productive, organized and ready to finish out the day.
- Read an inspirational quote. Don’t underestimate the power of words to jog you into action. Keep a book of quotes handy or search online and find a quote that charms and motivates you.
- Clean off your desk. A little filing, stacking and sensible tossing may help to make you feel organized and in-charge.
- Listen to some music. A few minutes spent listening to some energetic music may be all you need to clear your head.
"Your Direction Home"